IFBB Men's Physique Pro Ryan Hughes

How did you get started with men’s physique?

I began competing as a bodybuilding at age 19. After two bodybuilding shows I was uncertain about the direction in which I wanted to take it. I was positive I didn’t want to be the size of today’s professional bodybuilders, but still loved to compete! Less than 6 months after my final bodybuilding show the Men’s Physique division came about and it was the perfect place for me! I competed once to qualify for Nationals and ended up winning my class at the first National Men’s Physique show to become of the first two IFBB Men’s Physique professionals! 

Where does your motivation come from?

Originally I aspired to the likes of Arnold and Cutler, but after adding muscle and pursing my own fitness journey my motivation now comes from within. I constantly strive to get better and beat my previous self. Whether it be on stage or in a photo shoot, I always strive to look better than I previously have. 



What workout routine has worked best for you?

By far the most success from a workout regimen has come from my Blast Training System. After changing gears and heading in the Men’s Physique direction, I needed a training style that would help build an overall aesthetically pleasing and symmetrically physique. I developed the Blast Training System on these principles. I took pieces of various training styles, including strength/hypertrophic, volume and cross fit training and incorporated them synergistically into one unique training system. Now you can yield the benefits of all these training styles in one workout, which has worked wonders for me, adding lean muscle tissue and reducing body fat!

If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?

This is a tough one, but I would have to say three compound lifts, Bench Press, Barbell Rows & Squats. I train exclusively with my “Blast Training System” now, but these lifts play a big role in many of the workouts! 




What do your off season and contest prep diets consist of?

They don’t vary much these days! Now that I am a full time fitness model and competitor, I am expected to be in shape most of the year. Therefore, my diet is pretty consistent year round. I typically carb cycle, while keeping protein high and fats moderate. However, diet is the one thing that is completely specific to the individual. If your using a diet made for someone else or a generic type nutritional regimen you found online or in a magazine, you may want to reconsider. Without taking into account your specific BMR, LBM, total caloric expenditure, etc. you are never going to truly maximize your potential.

When dieting down for a competition what type of cardio do you use? High intensity, Low intensity, or interval cardio?
Ever since adopted my “Blast Training System” as my full time training regimen, I have greatly reduced cardio during contest prep. This is beneficial for multiple reasons. One, it helps keep my energy levels high throughout prep and two, it helps me retain more overall muscle mass leading up to a contest. The high intensity nature of my training system has completely changed my approach to competition prep! During my current prep, I didn’t add any cardio in until 2-3 weeks out!

What supplements do you use?
My supplement stack is a constantly changing arsenal of products. However, there are five products that are always in my stack year round. These five products are; Whey Protein/Whey Isolate, Multi-Vitamin, BCAA’s/Amino Acids, Creatine & lastly a post workout carbohydrate product, such as; Karbolyn or Vitargo.



What competitors do you look up to and why?
Growing up I aspired to the likes of Arnold & Zane, but now a days my focus is on aesthetics and overall shape more so than bodybuilding. This of course is the premise behind the Men’s Physique division which I am currently competing in as an IFBB Pro. I respect all the guys that get up and compete and who are bringing so much attention and buzz to this division, including myself. If I had to say one competitor I look up to, it would probably be Jay Cutler strictly for what he has been able to accomplish both on AND off the stage. I have great respect for his business sense and entrepreneurial accomplishments.